Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tips for Online Shopping

I, like a lot of people nowadays, enjoy doing the bulk of my shopping online. Don't get me wrong: I still like going out, having a nice day to go out to the department stores and try things on but let's be honest: who has the time? We live in such a fast paced world that even going to a store to go shopping these days is so passé. To me, online shopping is a matter of convenience and with online stores offering great discounts (sometimes even better than in store), it's not too hard to get caught up in it all. These are my tips and tricks for those of you who are either new to the entire online shopping universe (in which case, welcome) or for those who strictly buy online, think of this as a reminder.

  1. Prep & Be Agressive: This has to be the most important thing that I think a lot of people overlook. When I go shopping, I always make a list of what I need, what I'm looking for, and what I've heard about that I want to look into. I know that it gets tempting, especially late at night, with all the bright colors and big, bold letters stating a deal, but fight the urge. Unless it's something that you are honestly going to use or gift, I'd pass on an item just because it's 90% off. Shopping is like hunting: you have an objective, you spot your target, and you get it.

  2. Explore: There are literally hundreds of online only shops that have some of the cutest clothes that you've never seen. One way that I've found some of these shops is by going on The Hunt (https://www.thehunt.com/). On The Hunt, you can post pictures of items you have been dying for, whether they be the exact product, something similar, or even get advice from the other members on what to pair with an item you might already have. Don't be afraid to click on other people's hunts or pins and see what a website might have.

  3. Know Your Measurements: I couldn't begin to tell you how many times this has been a life saver for me. Since there are so many different stores out there, there's a big possibility that you could be a medium at one and an x-large at another. Don't be offended if you have to go up a size or two: different places use different measurement scales. My trick to avoid having to send something back (or be stuck with it because I can't return it): keep a ruler by me when I'm shopping. Since you can't try it on, the best way to figure out if it's right for you is to measure to see where an item will fall. This also goes for accessories (jewelry, purses, scarves, etc.) [Helpful Hint: If you can leave a sticky note on your desktop, jot down your measurements so you have them at the ready.]

  4. Sign Me Up: Even if you shop in person, the cashier will most likely ask you if you'd like to be added to their email list to receive notifications and special deals. Definitely 100% do it. Before you shriek at the idea of thousands of emails flooding your inbox, know that you can set up (this is what I do) a separate folder or email and designate it specifically for this purpose. While most are just updates made to the site, there are some pretty great coupons that can hold some amazing offers.

  5. Deal Me In: Nowadays, there are so many websites that are known specifically for having sales every day that I can barely stop my head from spinning before I find another one. The nice thing about these sites is that they offer a wide variety of quality products, from clothing to household items. While they require that you make an account, most of them do not charge you until/only when you buy something and the others allow you to "skip a month" if you're not super into what's on the site. [Helpful Hint: If you have multiple accounts, write them down on a piece of paper or create a file on your computer so that way you don't have to go through having to remember one of twenty passwords.]

  6. When In Doubt, eBay or some other site where you are dealing with a person instead of placing an order to a machine. An awesome one that I've recently been loving is Poshmark (https://poshmark.com/). Sadly, you can only add items via the iPhone app for now. The cool thing about it is that you can browse through people's "closets" for something particular and most people will either trade or bundle items for you so you save on shipping and sometimes a little more.

These are the main things I tend to keep in mind when I find myself browsing through the virtual aisles and I hope that you can use these techniques as well. Below, I will list some of my personal referral links so you guys can check out some amazing places. Happy Shopping!

Hautelook (for all areas of life): http://www.hautelook.com/short/3HvTA

Little Black Bag (for your accessories addiction): http://lbb.ag/i31H

Plndr (for the more indie scene): http://www.plndr.com/plndr/MembersOnly/login.aspx?r=6781137

IntiMint (for your lady things): http://imnt.me/ZIkLn6

JustFab (for your shoe obsession): http://www.justfab.com/invite/7434526/

(image found on Google Images. I make no claim to own this image.)

No comments:

Post a Comment